One of the first things that you learn as a child regarding your oral hygiene is how to floss. Dr. Justin and Dr. M. Emami can tell you:
- How properly flossing your teeth removes unwanted food and other material from between your teeth
- How flossing helps keep your gums healthy by removing plaque, tartar, and the bacteria they help create from between your teeth and near the gumline
- And how your breath becomes fresher with regular flossing.
You can find out all about flossing and more by calling one of our two Tulsa area locations to schedule your dental appointment today. Reach our Tulsa office at 918-302-2401 or our Sand Springs location at 918-205-7522.
The Galleria of Smiles dental team of Drs. Justin and Mehrdad Emami have studied at some of the most prestigious universities and have pursued hundreds of hours of continuing education. All of that has lead us to conclude that flossing is still an effective way to maintain a high level of oral health. Take a minute or two to find out more about the benefits of flossing properly and regularly.
What is Gingivitis and Why You Should Care
Gingivitis is a dental condition that affects far more people than you would think. Current data shows that about 50% of all adults have some form of gum disease, and over 70% of adults over the age of 65 suffer from gum disease at one stage or another.
The first stage that everyone will go through is gingivitis. There are some recognizable symptoms associated with gingivitis:
- Bleeding Gums
- Inflamed Gum Tissue
- Sore Gums
- Receding Gum Tissue
All gum disease starts out as gingivitis, but gingivitis is very treatable. This means that just because you have gingivitis, you don’t have to get gum disease. Galleria of Smiles and Drs. Justin and Mehrdad Emami can help you.
Galleria of Smiles is amply equipped to help you with your gingivitis. Our years of dental experience, advanced education, and dedication to continued education have given us everything we need to help you beat back the beginning stage of this devastating oral infection. Trust the dental professionals at Galleria of Smiles with your oral health problems today.
What Does Flossing Do?
Well, every tooth in your mouth has five surfaces. Brushing with a toothbrush only covers three of the surfaces. If you don’t floss you are leaving 40% of the surface of your teeth uncleaned and teaming with plaque, tartar, and bacteria. By flossing your teeth you are getting all of the dangerous material from inside your mouth and saving your gums from the potential disaster that is gum disease.
Galleria of Smile can do a lot to keep your teeth and gums healthy, but we need you to do your part. Call either our Tulsa or Sand Springs location to find out more about why flossing should become a staple of your home dental hygiene routine.
What is the Right Way to Floss?
Here are some tips on how to floss your teeth effectively to keep your teeth clean and your gums safe from your friends at Galleria of Smiles.
- The Right Floss Makes All of the Difference – Depending on your dental condition you may need some special floss. Most people will simply need to choose between wide and flat dental floss that is good for covering the full surface area of their tooth. If your teeth are very close together, you should look for dental floss that is shred resistant. This way you won’t have to deal with the irritation of floss that breaks down as you are using it.
For those Galleria of Smiles patients who have braces or a bridge restoration, you will need a dental needle to get the floss underneath the wire to clean your teeth. Galleria of Smiles can help you find the kind of floss that you need to make sure that you are getting the most benefit from your flossing routine. Call your local Galleria of Smiles office today to find out how we can help you.
- Be Sure to Use Enough – It may be tempting to only use five or six inches, but you should make sure you have an ample amount. We suggest 14 to 16 inches of dental floss per use. That gives you plenty of dental floss to comfortably work it in between your teeth for a thorough cleaning.
- Polish Both Teeth in the Space – Thoroughly clean the sides of your teeth in the opening. Going up and down on each tooth, you are going to undoubtedly go too far down once or twice. The little bit of blood that follows is normal. The more you floss, the better you will get at it.
Call Your Galleria of Smiles Dentist Today for Flossing Tips