Galleria of Smiles takes pride in providing our patients with the highest level of dental care available in the Tulsa, OK area, but none of that matters if we don’t help you avoid the nightmare that is oral cancer. Oral cancer is not just an issue for your smile. It can put your actual life in danger.
Dr.’s Justin and Mehrdad Emami have the training and dental experience to recognize the signs oral cancer early and get you started on an appropriate treatment plan. Galleria of Smiles will help you beat cancer, but we would much rather help you avoid it altogether.
Call us today to schedule your dental appointment and make sure your mouth is as healthy as it can be. You can reach our Tulsa office at 918-302-2401, or our Sand Springs location at 918-245-5976.
What is Oral Cancer?
Cancer is defined as a growth of cells that damages the surrounding tissue. Oral cancer is a growth in a particular part of your mouth (cheeks, tongue, lips, etc.) This type of cancer is treatable but still can cost you your life if you don’t get the proper treatment. Dr. Justin or Dr. M. Emami will help you through these beginning stages of your journey with oral cancer, and make sure that you and your smile get the help you deserve.
Oral Cancer Symptoms
When trying to keep your mouth cancer free, it is important to know what symptoms you need to be on the lookout for. Here are some common symptoms that may point toward the development of oral cancer. If you experience any of these symptoms, call Galleria of Smiles immediately to get an appointment scheduled.
- Lumps in Your Mouth
- Rough Spots on Your Gums or Lips
- Discolored Patches in Your Mouth
- Bleeding in Your Mouth
- Loss of Feeling in Your Mouth
- Unexplainable Pain in Your Mouth
- Sore or Painful Throat
What You Can Do to Keep Yourself Safe
Your smile is important, but your overall health is even more important. Here are some things that you can do on your own to make your chances of getting oral cancer lower.
- Stop Using Tobacco – If you don’t use tobacco, don’t start, and if you do use it, stop immediately. Tobacco products have been shown to cause cancer. For smokers, they are at risk of both oral cancer and lung cancer. The smoke that is inhaled carries 4000 chemicals and toxins into your body. Of those, 43 are known to cause cancer. Smokeless tobacco is no better. The chewing tobacco stays in contact with your gums during use for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. While the amount of cancer-causing agents is less (only 28 in smokeless tobacco) the amount of time they are in contact with your gum tissue make it a virtual certainty that you will develop oral cancer as a result of your tobacco use.
- Don’t Drink Alcohol in Excess – For the purposes of this blog, excess is defined as more than 21 alcoholic drinks in any seven day period. Recent studies suggest that consuming alcohol at this rate or greater may contribute to the development of oral cancer. Outside of the oral cancer risk, consuming alcohol at this level could lead to liver damage, which opens the door for many other health problems down the line. Take the advice of Galleria of Smiles and drink in moderation.
- Eat Your Fruits and Vegetables – Cancer is an abnormal growth of cells that causes damage to other cells around it. Eating your fruits and vegetables is going to give your body and your immune system the ammo it needs to fight back against this abnormal growth. Outside of the immune system benefits, eating your fruits and veggies will help you keep the proper pH level in your mouth and guard against other issues like tooth decay and gum disease.
- See Your Dentist Regularly – This is the most important step for you to avoid an oral cancer situation. Dr.’s Justin and Mehrdad Emami will go over your mouth and identify any area of concern. From there, we will keep a close eye on you and your dental condition, and make sure that we are there to provide the care you need as soon as possible. The health of your smile and your whole body are top priorities at Galleria of Smiles.
Your health is not something you can afford to play around with. Call Galleria of Smiles today to get an oral cancer screening, and make sure you are safe from this kind of nightmare. You can contact our Tulsa office at 918-496-8010, or reach out to our Sand Springs location at 918-245-5976.